Cerebral Palsy Lawyer Cleveland OH Cerebral Palsy Lawyer Cleveland OH 

Cerebral palsy is considered one of the most – if not the most – common birth injuries that occur in Ohio and across the United States. The condition is caused by either a birth injury or medical negligence. Many families whose child is diagnosed with cerebral palsy turn to a cerebral palsy lawyer Cleveland OH clients recommend to seek financial justice against the party responsible for the condition.

Cerebral Palsy Statistics

The statistics for CP are heartbreaking:

  •       Every hour, a baby is born with CP.
  •       One in every 323 babies is diagnosed with CP.
  •       Approximately 500,000 children under the age of 18 have CP.
  •       For every 1,000 births, two to three children will have CP.
  •       Approximately 10,000 babies born each year develop CP.
  •       Approximately 1,500 children who are pre-school age are diagnosed each year with CP.
  •       Approximately 40 percent of all children who have CP were born prematurely. The other 60 percent were born at full-term.

Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy

A birth injury lawyer Cleveland OH families trust knows that there are a variety of symptoms that may present that could indicate a child has CP. Some of these include:

  •       Abnormal reflexes, either very stiff and rigid or very spastic
  •       Delays in speech development
  •       Issues with facial nerve control, such as drooling and tics
  •       Issues with fine motor skill abilities
  •       Muscle tone variations that are outside the normal range

According to statistics from the Cerebral Palsy Alliance Research Foundation:

  •       One in two children with CP is in chronic pain.
  •       One in two children with CP has an intellectual impairment.
  •       One in three children with CP cannot walk.
  •       One in three children with CP has hip displacement.
  •       One in four children with CP has epilepsy.
  •       One in four children with CP has a behavior disorder.
  •       One in five children with CP cannot talk.
  •       One in five children with CP is tube fed.
  •       One in five children with CP has a sleep disorder.
  •       One in 10 children with CP has a severe vision impairment.
  •       One in 25 children with CP has a severe hearing impairment.

While some babies are born with CP, the main cause of the condition is deprivation of oxygen during birth. Although there are instances where this deprivation can just happen (i.e. umbilical cord wrapped around infant’s neck during labor), in many of these cases it was the negligence of medical professionals that leads to oxygen deprivation, such as failure to notice the issue or failure to act.

If a doctor’s failure to act is the cause of a birth injury, then the family has a right to pursue a medical malpractice lawsuit. Your cerebral palsy lawyer in Cleveland OH will need to prove that the doctor’s behavior was not how a reasonable doctor of the same age with similar experience and training would have behaved, resulting in your baby’s injury. This is referred to as a breach in the standard of care. Call Mishkind Kulwicki Law Co., L.P.A. to learn more.